Yes…it’s December. Can you believe it? Much like December snuck up on us, the cold weather might have also caught you by surprise this year, too. So, let’s kick off the final month of the year with some tips on how to keep your house warmer this winter!
1. Close Your Curtains & Blinds: Close your curtains and blinds at night to provide an extra barrier to radiant heat loss by adding extra insulation and reducing drafts.
2. Open Your Curtains & Blinds: Open your curtains and blinds during the day to let the sun naturally shine in and warm up your home.
3. Cover The Floors: Floors can account for up to 10% of heat loss! If you don’t have rugs on your hardwood floors, now would be a great time to add them.
4. Clean Your Furnace Filter: Most commonly, heating and cooling problems occur because the furnace filter needs to be replaced.
5. Mind Your Fireplace: While lighting a fire is lovely on a cold winter’s night, it’s actually only heating up the area directly in front of the fireplace. As the hot air escapes through the chimney, cold air is being pulled into the house elsewhere through the “stack effect,” which is the law of physics that shows when warm air comes into your home and naturally flows upwards, it sucks in cold air through any gap it can find. So if you light a fire, make sure to put a glass barrier in front of it. Beyond that, make sure to close the chute when not in use.
6. Move Furniture Away From Vents: Are you blocking warm air from getting into your home? Make sure furniture is moved off of vents.
7. Seal Leaks: Think attics and basements, or anywhere cement meets wood.
8. Fans Clockwise: Yes, you can change the direction of your fans! In the winter you want them to spin clockwise which will push heat back down into your home instead of being trapped up in the ceiling.
Ranked as one of the top Real Estate teams in the DC Metro Area by the Wall Street Journal, Debbie, Sarah, and the entire Reynolds Team attribute their success to always putting their client’s needs first, above all else. This is something that many agents say, but Debbie and Sarah are on a mission to actually DO it by providing their clients several GUARANTEE programs that take the risk out of selling or buying a home. They have become passionate about providing these guarantees, and at the same time making each client feel as though they are their only client.
Debbie started the business in 1988 to provide extra income for the family. What started as extra income turned into a passion. Sarah joined her mom with this passion in 2006, and not only did the mother-daughter aspect bring them together, but so did the passion for their clients. They are a true family owned business! It’s been said that buying or selling a home is one of the most stressful things that anyone will go through in their lifetime. Debbie and Sarah understand this, and are passionate about providing an experience for their clients where we take ALL the stress away!
They have always hired partners to join the team that share their core values! It hasn’t always been easy to find them, but they have found that it is worth the wait to find agents and team members that have the same care and passion that they do! It’s an amazing team!
Originall written: https://www.rtrsells.com/tuesday-tips-how-to-keep-your-home-warm-this-winter/